Thursday, September 30, 2010

Down the Rabbit-Hole

As my pediatrician read the results of the ultrasound over the phone to me, I saw my husband walk in the door at the opposite end on the hall. He started walking towards me and the hall extended behind him and he became my field of view. I was experiencing tunnel vision at the exact moment I heard the words "very large mass in the belly that needs to come out immediately. Prepare for a long, hard fight". Or was the tunnel vision brought on by extreme fear or stress.

After that event, the sights, sounds and smells were not of my world. My head was clouded, my emotions were no where to be found and the only sensible thing I could hold on to, was the overwhelming feeling that everything was going to be alright. Call it momtuition, call it faith or the spirit. I call it the little voices in my head. In this parallel world, things were strangely inconsistent with all that was familiar. I was unaccustomed to the language spoken by the new faces. Characters were strangers that became family and family became strangers. There were minders and hatters, things that would make me smaller or taller and yes, the white rabbit was there too. Stage right; the King of Parts announced "out with her kidney" and with it, the cancer was gone. Hands gave, heads turned, relationships were made and now I can't remember how it was on the surface. Everything has changed.

Unlike waking up from a strange dream and working furiously to wrap the meaning around the details, I have yet to try. Don't want to. I just want to love my family, laugh in the sun and eat food and say it was good.

"we're all mad here" -The Cheshire Cat

2 comments:

  1. `Take some more chemo,' the March Hare said to Gina, very earnestly.

    `I've had nothing yet,' Gina replied in an offended tone, `so I can't take more.'

    `You mean you can't take less,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take more than nothing.'

    `Nobody asked your opinion,' said Gina.

    `Who's making personal remarks now?' the Hatter asked triumphantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam today.” -The Queen

    ReplyDelete