Monday, February 14, 2011

Pen Pals

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding pediatric cancer research and awareness. I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

I agree that the fight against pediatric cancer is critically important, which is why I have long been a strong supporter of cancer research and prevention efforts. In 2010, I asked the Senate Appropriations Committee to allocate $35 billion in funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for fiscal year 2011. Estimates show that the NIH will spend $6 billion on cancer research projects in 2011.

During my time in the North Carolina Senate, I helped allocate much-needed funding to University of North Carolina cancer research and treatment facilities, particularly the University Cancer Research Fund. Additionally, I have also supported expanding the National Cancer Institute, which is the premier cancer research agency in the United States. With adequate funding, this federal agency can work effectively to conduct crucial prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment research.

Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among U.S. children between infancy and age 15. It is estimated that nearly 11,000 new cases of pediatric cancer are diagnosed each year. Fortunately, the risk of developing certain forms of cancer can be reduced with screening and lifestyle and behavioral changes. In addition, cancer treatments have progressively improved over the years and medical innovation continues advancing toward a cure.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.


Sincerely,
Kay R. Hagan



Dear Senator Hagan,

"Thank you for contacting me regarding pediatric cancer research and awareness." I contacted you about pediatric cancer research and awareness on September 15, 2010. 152 days ago.

"In 2010, I asked the Senate Appropriations Committee to allocate $35 billion in funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for fiscal year 2011. Estimates show that the NIH will spend $6 billion on cancer research projects in 2011." That's wonderful. Except only 3% of that might go to pediatric research. To be divided among ALL childhood cancers.

"Additionally, I have also supported expanding the National Cancer Institute, which is the premier cancer research agency in the United States. With adequate funding, this federal agency can work effectively to conduct crucial prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment research." With adequate funding. Funding is not adequate for childhood cancer. I don't have to tell you, Senator, that there is a HUGE difference between authorization and allocation.

"Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among U.S. children between infancy and age 15...Fortunately, the risk of developing certain forms of cancer can be reduced with screening and lifestyle and behavioral changes." Please share with us what part of our children's lifestyle and behavior we can change so as to reduce their risk of cancer. Is it the smoking? The booze? The tanning beds?

"...Cancer treatments have progressively improved over the years and medical innovation continues advancing toward a cure." Not there yet. Not even close. Not until it is funded. Not just authorized, but allocated.

Sincerely,
Christy Griffith
Mom to Eve, who was diagnosed at age 2 with childhood cancer and is looking to find out what she could have done to prevent it.

Tell Senator Hagan your thoughts on the subject here.

2 comments:

  1. And for what it's worth, this is what I got after my initial email to the Senator:

    September 15, 2010
    Dear Fellow North Carolinian,
    Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts and opinions. This automatic e-mail is to confirm that my office has received your message. Please be assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding your specific concern. In the meantime, please feel free to visit http://hagan.senate.gov to find contact information for my offices and information about what I've been doing in North Carolina and Washington.
    Sincerely,

    Kay R. Hagan
    United States Senator, North Carolina

    "Please be assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding your specific concern."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could copy and paste my two letters form Kay Hagen, but it would just be repetitive. Because apparently, "Dear Friend" is the generic term for melancholy citizen.

    ReplyDelete