Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's Not All About You.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Husband, myself and our parents were sitting outside of surgery while my daughter was having her Wilms tumor removed. My mom said something so simple to me that sparked my response, I still think about today when I see others struggling with that very question.

Mom - "Why did this happen to you? I just don't understand."
Me - "I'm not sure, but I haven't even thought about the reason yet. Maybe her resected tumor will be a link in research to the cure. Maybe her brother will grow up hating cancer or seeing children sick, and become a great scientist or wonderful oncologist. Maybe I will meet another cancer parent and create something to help millions and go down in history. I'm not sure why, but I feel it's not about me."

Sure, you can beat yourself up over what you did to cause this cancer in your child, but let's face some facts. The causes of childhood cancers are largely unknown. There are some genetic abnormalities or syndromes and radiation exposures that make up a very small percentage of known causes. Possible risk factors are suspected, but scientist have yet to identify specific environmental factors because of the variables associated with lifestyles and coordinates and such. We need more research. Awareness, research and money.

Through funding, be it on a government or private level, compassionate people gather, money is raised, families are involved and ideas are hatched. And these little ideas to create a foundation to raise money for research or grant wishes for children diagnosed with a life threatening disease or even give families a place to call home while their child is being treated at the local hospital become the world around us.

Heroes. They are everywhere, wearing street clothes and loving the world. They make the world a better place. They fill my heart with love and peace and I understand what compels them to do these great things. I get it. I would do anything to ease another's journey.

This post was inspired by Kim Hill, and the birth of the Ronald McDonald Houses. This is not the first or only league of amazing humans, nor will this be the last time we talk about inspiring folks that walk, ride, bake or raise the benevolence bar, but it was sparked by Kim Hill's recent passing.

In her death, we are reminded again, that the childhood cancer douchelord must be overthrown.

Reading an article about Kim Hill's death, I came across a statement Kim made in 1982 that sums up my sentiments:

"I didn't enjoy being sick, but if I wasn't sick, all of this might not have happened." 
                                                                                                                              -Kim Hill

Maybe you are looking for your "why" behind your journey. Maybe you'll find it, maybe you won't. Remind yourself to take it one day at a time. Hug the people you love. Just get busy living. Raise awareness. Collect money for the cure. Volunteer. Love more. Use the force and change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment